May 2017 CASA Monthly Newsletter
Each year, millions of Americans face the reality of living with a mental health condition, as 1 in 5 U.S. adults will experience a mental health condition in their lifetime. The truth is that mental illness impacts everyone either through personal experience or through contact with family and friends who live with mental illness. As a CASA many of the families you serve are dealing with mental illness in some form.
The following resources are provided in an effort to increase your knowledge of mental illness. We at CASACD recommend spending some time reviewing the information. Be sure to record the time you spend in your Optima training logs to receive continuing education time.
Ways to Advance Your Mental Illness Education:
Behavioral Health Treatment and Services:
Mental and Substance Use Disorders:
Infant and Early Childhood Mental Health Consultation Toolbox: https://www.samhsa.gov/iecmhc/toolboxLearning Opportunities
Wishing All of Our Special Mom’s a Very Happy Mother’s Day!
Is Your Continuing Education up to Date?
The close of the Fiscal Year is Rapidly approaching and We at CASACD are committed to assisting you in succeeding in your CASA role. To that end, NOW is the time to make sure your continuing education hours are up to date. Each CASA is asked to maintain 12 hours of continuing education each year from the anniversary of your Swearing in as a CASA. Please take a few moments to log in to Optima and check the following:
1) Make sure your continuing education hours are properly recorded for your supervisors approval.
2) Make sure that your volunteer information is up to date. Be sure to check addresses, phone numbers, email addresses, emergency contact information and training logs.
3) If you are actively assigned to a case, please make sure information on your child is up to date in Optima. Please be sure to review placement information, school information, and associated party information.
Still Need Continuing Education Hours?
Be sure to check out all of the wonderful learning resources available at casaforchildren.org
- The National CASA Webinar Library has many webinar based skill building activities for CASA’s. http://www.casaforchildren.org/site/c.mtJSJ7MPIsE/b.8284263/k.8B74/Webinar_Library.htm
- CASA/ GAL Book List: http://www.casaforchildren.org/site/c.mtJSJ7MPIsE/b.7799943/k.9FEB/CASAGAL_Book_List.htm
- National CASA Film List: http://www.casaforchildren.org/site/c.mtJSJ7MPIsE/b.9168955/k.9B6F/CASAGAL_Film_List.htm
- National CASA Podcasts: http://podcast.casaforchildren.org/
All Continuing Education and Optima Updates are Due no later than 5:00pm June 15, 2017.
Thanks for your Assistance!
How can you support abused or neglected children in the High Country? Play golf of course!
CASA, or Court Appointed Special Advocates, provide a voice in court for children who are victims of abuse or neglect by their primary caretakers. CASA volunteers advocate through the court system for the best interests of these children to find them a safe, permanent home quickly and with as few transitions as possible.
CASACD provides advocates for the most vulnerable members of our society. There are
compelling reasons, both emotional and fiscal, to provide these services. The support that a CASA volunteer is able to provide can make an enormous difference in a child’s life. Children who grow up in a healthy environment with a strong sense of self-esteem become productive members of our society, in turn raising children who are loved and praised.
Studies have shown that children who have CASA volunteers to advocate on their behalf spend
less time in foster care, and are less likely to reenter the child welfare or judicial system.
But to provide this amazing service we need to raise funds and this is where you can help. Come and join our 11 Annual Golf Tournament on Thursday June 15 and have a great day of golf on a private members course, meet new friends all the while supporting our great cause. For tickets please go to www.mtncasa.org
If you are unable to attend please share this posting to your friends so that we can spread the word.
May be arranged individually. Please Contact Colleen for assistance at 970 531-9390 ext. 3
May be arranged Individually. Please contact Laurie for assistance at 970 531-9390 ext. 4
If you need access to commonly used CASA forms or templates, use our public file for CASA. CASA’s Dropbox