Volunteer Highlight - Lindsey Parlin Lake County: Lindsey Parlin chose to volunteer with CASA because, “I love helping children and acting as a positive impact on their lives.” She has been a CASA volunteer for seven years and says it has been a truly wonderful and memorable experience.
Lindsey encourages others to consider CASA. “Becoming a CASA volunteer is rewarding and is a way to give back to the community by way of impacting future generations. Instilling value in children is something that will last a lifetime.” “Advocating for children is priceless. Children need positive adult influences in their lives because the childhood years are a critical time to begin the decision-making process and necessary perseverance that all successful individuals must have.”
Aside for being a CASA Lindsey volunteers with children through the Full Circle program. “I also participate in various boards throughout the community. In my spare time I like to read, spend time with friends, and do outdoor activities.”
Volunteer Training and Resources
Free: Parole and Drug Endangered Children Project
Date: Wednesday, May 22, 2013
Time: 11.30am MDT
Presenter: Melissa Gallardo
[Registration opens 5/08/2013]
Parole officers can play a significant role in recognizing and caring for drug endangered children since they are often the first and only responders to the homes of drug offenders. Since 2009, the Colorado Division of Adult Parole and Community Corrections has identified more than 1,400 offenders who report that they have children living in their home, resulting in more than 3,000 children identified. Now that parole officers know there are children in these homes, they are more aware of the increased risks to these children. They continue to work on next steps that include collaboration with DHS and offering new and innovative ideas on offender services in this regard. This session will provide an overview of the lessons learned during the project and share a vision for future work in this area.
- The 6th Annual Successful Child Conference will be Saturday, May 18th, 2013 at the Keystone Conference Center.
The event will take place 8:30 am-4:00 pm. The Keynote presentation is “The Importance of Early Childhood Development” by Dr. Bruce D. Perry, M.D., Ph.D. Register now through the Early Childhood Options website. Cost: $35-45.
- Free: Colorado West Regional Mental Health in Frisco is hosting monthly "Lunchtime Learning" seminars. This month's is “Family and Couples Therapy” on Wednesday, May 22 at 12-1pm. Bring your lunch and learn! Held on the second floor of the Medical Office Building in Frisco.
- “The Lay of the L.A.N.” Practical & Ethical Issues Webinar
Presented by Linda Weinerman, Executive Director & Sheri Danz, Deputy Director of the Office of the Child’s Representative
In L.A.N. v. L.M.B, the Colorado Supreme Court held that, in dependency and neglect cases, the GAL is in the best position to waive the child’s psychotherapist-patient privilege when the child is too young or otherwise incompetent to hold the privilege, the child’s interests are adverse to those of his or her parents, and section 19-3-311 does not abrogate the privilege.
- Date: Tuesday, April 30th, 2013 | 12:00-2:00 pm
· Audience: GALs, RPC, CAs, Judicial Officers, County Departments, CASAs
· CLE: Ethics Credits Pending Approval
· RSVP & Submit Your L.A.N. Questions In Advance Here: https://adobeformscentral.com/?f=e9rcklsdWVD5RsPmINTBUA# *Please Note: you may "attend" this webinar after it occurs at your own convenience. · To Access the Webinar:
1. Click this link:https://www4.gotomeeting.com/pjoin/211600927/105599752
2. Click on the “Launch GoToWebinar” button. You will be prompted to save the program file.
3. Save the program file and once it has downloaded to your computer, double click the file to launch the webinar program
4. If needed, the webinar ID is 211-600-927
Avon: Avon Library Thursday April 25 from 5pm-7pm.
CASA 101: CASA office room 101 May 14 from 10-12pm and May 23 from 5-7pm.
CASA 101 - May 14 in CASA office room 101 from 3-5pm.
Leadville - Post Office on May 9th from 11-1pm
If you need access to commonly used CASA forms or templates, use our public file for CASA. CASA's Dropbox
In This Issue
- Volunteer Highlight: Lindsey Parlin
- Supervision dates
- PR Committee Recruitment
- Save the Date: CASA Golf Tournament June 18, 2013.
- Court Report Corner
CASA Public Relations Committee
- In order to promote awareness of CASA and recruit new volunteers, we are in need of more PR committee members. We need help hanging flyers, manning booths at events, planning presentations, working with media, and etc.
- If you are interested in helping in this way, please contact Genevieve Palmer, committee chair, email@example.com.
- CASA is looking for volunteers from every county!
Save the Date: CASA Golf Tournament - June 18, 2013
- This year, CASA will hold their annual golf tournament fundraiser at Adam's Rib Golf Club!
- Check out their website at adamsribranch.com
Court Report Corner